For those of you just visiting for the first time, welcome! This 50 States in 50 Weeks endeavor is meant to organize the resources I have found useful in my legislative and regulatory research. I welcome any additions and comments! Here is Iowa.
- Iowa General Assembly: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/index.aspx
- Iowa Bill Lookup: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/Legislation/BillTracking/billTrackingTools.aspx
- List of Links to Iowa House Members: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/Legislators/house.aspx
- List of Links to Iowa Senate Members: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/Legislators/senate.aspx
- Legislative Process: https://www.legis.state.ia.us/Pubinfo/BillBecomeLaw/
- Crossover Deadline: 4/8/11
- Governor Signing Information: The Governor has 3 days from transmittal to sign or veto legislation or else it becomes law without signature. Sundays don't count. If the legislation is sent to the Governor during the last 3 days of the session, he has 30 days to sign or veto before it becomes law without signature. Again, Sundays don't count.
Effective Dates for Signed Legislation: Brace yourself. This is a long one. All legislation enacted during a regular session takes effect on July 1 following their passage. Anything passed prior to July 1 and approved by the Governor on or after July 1 takes effect 45 days after approval. Anything passed during a special session takes effect 90 days after adjournment of the special session. If an effective date is specified in the legislation, that takes precedent over the three previously mentioned situations.
An Act which is effective upon enactment is effective upon the date of signature by the Governor. Unless:
- The Governor fails to sign it and returns it with objections. Then it is effective upon the date of passage by the General Assembly after reconsideration.
- The Governor fails to sign or return an Act submitted during session, but prior to the last 3 days of a session. Then is it effective on the 4th day after it is presented for the Governor's approval.
A concurrent or joint resolution which is effective upon enactment is effective upon the date of final passage by both chambers. However, if the resolution requires the approval of the Governor, it is effective upon the date of such approval.
- Iowa Administrative Code (updated bi-weekly): https://www.legis.state.ia.us/aspx/ACODocs/agencyList.aspx
- Iowa Administrative Rules Review Committee: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/Schedules/committee.aspx?GA=84&CID=53
- Iowa Administrative Bulletin (published every two weeks): https://www.legis.state.ia.us/Rules/Current/Bulletin/
- Iowa Rulemaking Process: https://www.adminrules.iowa.gov/how_rules_work/index.html
- State Agency Directory: https://phonebook.iowa.gov/agency.aspx
- State Telephone Directory: https://phonebook.iowa.gov/default.aspx